Friday 10 February 2017

VETERAN GOALKEEPER CONTINUES TO SERVE HIS COUNTRY

Solomon Islands have been well known for producing some of the finest forwards when it comes to football in the Oceania. The likes of Batram Suri, Benjamin Totori, Henry Fa’arodo, James Naka and Micah Lea’alafa to name a few. The most incredible position in football, in fact, is not a striker but goalkeeper. This is a position that involves analyzing, focusing and very acrobatic. Solomon Islands have also got their top players of this position with the likes of late Seda, Felix Ray, and Fred Hale to name a few.  

Severino Aefi who is a household name when it comes to this position and is probably the most well-known goalkeeper that Solomon Islands have ever produced. An amazing footballer who is not only a goalkeeper but an incredible forward during his stint as a forward in his early age. The Solomon Islands veteran goalkeeper continued his service for the nation by coaching Solomon Islands young upcoming goalkeepers. I was fortunate to meet Severino Aefi during my visit to the Solomon Islands national U17 team at OFC academy in Auckland. The talkative Malaitan have no hesitation in giving me this exclusive interview in his life as a goalkeeper.



How did you start your interest in football?

I grew up always loving football because I saw some village older kids playing football. I started playing when I was able to run with the big boys. I started as a striker and enjoyed running with the ball but then later there were so many strikers so I changed position to being a goalkeeper.



What was your first big football club you signed for?

The first and my most memorable club is LAS United. I played there and enjoyed a lot of times with the team and it was then that my talent of being between the post have been recognized by national selectors.



What other big clubs have you joined?

Well, after LAS United the only other club I played for was KOSSA FC. I think during my career in KOSSA too I have excelled more in my position as goalkeeper.



When did you first make your debut for your international career?

I started my international career for my country in the U19 Solomon Islands national team and this was back in 1989. I was only 17 years old and already managed to impress the coaches. I then have enjoyed a long career in the national teams and even now I still enjoy traveling with the various national teams as goalkeeper trainer.



What are some of your future goals now in this goalkeeper position?

This is a question many have asked me before, well the answer would be to help goalkeepers. Many might think Solomon Islands do not have a lot of goalkeepers but that is a lie. There are many kids interested in goalkeeping but there is no pathway for goalkeepers. The only coaching available is for players such as strikers and midfielders. I have one future goal only and that is to help train and develop future goalkeepers.



You are planning to start a goalkeeping academy, what inspire you to do this?

Well, it is quite obvious that Solomon Islands do not have a lot of goalkeepers signing now because of the reasons I have mentioned earlier. I think now that many kids are exposed to watching international games on tv, they are now motivated to try goalkeeper and I have luckily managed to get a reputation around Solomon Islands for being a goalkeeper so many kids ended up coming to me to be trained. I have trained a lot of goalkeepers and many of them already make national team appearances so I am very happy.



What is your advice for young players coming up in the game of football?

To the young boys and girls coming up and wanting to make a career in football. I believe the most important thing is to stay focus in whatever you do. A lot of the kids are not doing anything and often find things to do and those things are smoking, drinking and etc… I urge all these kids to join football because football has values and can help develop good character. The other most important thing is to be in the educational system. Education is very important.

Severino Aefi now travels with the current Solomon Islands national U17 as a goalkeeper coach and from time to time invest his time in sharing his experiences to the youngster to motivate them in their footballing career. Indeed it was a privilege to have interviewed this veteran Solomon Islands international and I hope that his goalkeeping academy will have support from a lot of people back at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment