Wednesday 1 February 2017

ASPIRING TO DO HIS BEST IN FOOTBALL

New Zealand is known to the world as a powerful rugby nation. A nation that is located close to the south pole yet have a massive reputation to all the world in the game of rugby. However, lately, after an impressive FIFA World Cup tournament in which New Zealand national football team draw in all their games, they have acquired the reputation as the only team to have gone through the whole world cup unbeaten. These moments have contributed in shaping a lot of young New Zealanders into becoming footballers and amongst the many determined footballers is Matthew Ridenton. A young energetic footballer who has risen through the ranks and with the help of his dedicated family, Matthew is chasing his dreams as he enjoys a professional career in Wellington Pheonix FC.
                      
Mathew Ridenton who also has some Scottish line is a very determined young footballer and have been taking up leadership roles in varies youth football teams that he was part of, including his High school team of Saint Kentigern College which Matthew Ridenton helped in winning the National Schools tournament back in 2013. The 21-year-old Kiwi lad has been part of the Wellington Pheonix team since he left high school and is to many young footballers in New Zealand, a role model for them to aspire after. I have been fortunate to been friends with Matthew Ridenton during my high school days and experienced firsthand the work ethic and determination of this young men and I was again fortunate to have met Matthew Ridenton in 2017, and got this interview with him. Mathew’s latest international tournament for New Zealand was in the Pacific Nations’ cup which was held in Port Moresby, PNG in 2016.


1. What got you into football?

My dad got me into football when I was young and I started playing at 5 for a club but always remember loving it 



2. What is your main motivation to play football?

My dad was always motivation for playing football but my love for the game and the enjoyment I get out of it 



3. What are some of the positive things you gained from playing football from an early age?

I have gained a lot of friends from football and just always having fun whenever I played as a youngster 


4. What is it like playing professional football at a young age?

Professional football has always been my dream, so it’s great to be able to do what I love every day and I hope if I work hard can have a good career in professional football


5. What would you do if you weren't a footballer?

My mom thinks I would be a doctor but I was always very interested in a sport so definitely something involved in sports 


6. What are the best football achievements you have achieved if you were to name two?

Two that have stood out is playing for my national team and scoring my first professional goal


7. What is your future goal in football?

I hope one day I can play at the highest level in Europe 



8. How do you manage a profession in football and also the fun of a young individual?

Professional football can be demanding and you need to make sure you stay on top of everything to perform your best such as your diet, gym work, training, and recovery. But you have a lot of friends at the club that you enjoy being around every day 


9. How supportive is your family to your football career?

I don't think you could get a more supportive family as mine towards my football and I know they will always be there to watch and support in both good and bad times 



10. Your advice for young footballers out there.

Just to always enjoy playing but to give it your best every day and put in the hard work.




Mathew Ridenton continues his professional career with Wellington Pheonix this year but always have an eye to move further with his footballing career when another opportunity presents itself. It was such a privilege to caught up and interview this New Zealand footballer. All the best for Matthew's future in the game of football.

No comments:

Post a Comment