Monday 27 March 2017

FROM THE STREET TO INTERNATIONAL STAGE

From a wandering kid with no goals to a very successful fitness trainer. The story of Nohichu Fa’amoana Topue who is well known as Fa’a has captivated a lot of the people who worked closely with him over the past years.
The Renbell man has been a helping hand for the majority of Solomon Islands sports people throughout the years and he is quite famous for his unique blond hairstyle that he has on. Fa’a who is a very influential character was also present with the Western United Football Club which traveled to Auckland, New Zealand in the OFC Club Championship last month of February. The Western United team players were an example of a lot of people that appreciated the time and effort this Renbell man has put into his fitness sessions. In an exclusive interview with Fa’a, I have managed to walk inside Fa’a’s world and experienced, the passion, the love for sports and most of all the dedication this man has all throughout his career.

What got you into sports?

What got me into sports is the fact that I used to be a street kid. I was doing nothing with my life when I was very young. I would walk the street in the early morning, eat from all rubbish and been smoking a lot of very bad stuff and just lived a life of no direction. It was just one day that I decided to turn my life around and I am very happy I did because I went into trying Basketball and I loved it so I decided that sport was the savior for me.


What is it like to be a fitness trainer?

To be a fitness trainer is something very demanding although it is very fun. One of the most important thing about being a fitness trainer is that I had to be a model for the people I trained.  This means, I must be in good condition mentally and physically and looking fit every time for the individuals, the clubs and the national representatives I trained.


How did you find working with other sporting people?

This is a very interesting part of my profession and that is to work with other sporting people. I really enjoyed training every sporting people from all sporting codes because I will get to meet different types of people with their own personalities. I have a natural taste to help people and I believe this has also shown in my profession. I love to see the different level of fitness in people and I gradually work with them for them to reach their goals.


What inspires you every day to do your best?

There is always one thing that I believed has inspired me all through my fitness trainer career and that is to see the product of what I do. To train people is something good but to see they achieve their goals through my training is something amazing and awesome. It inspires me to go out every day and do what I do best.


What are your future goals as a fitness trainer?

I have a lot of personal goals but regarding fitness trainer goal, my goal is to continue helping people achieve their dreams and can help other young youths to take up this job of Fitness trainer, because a lot of Solomon Islanders do not take up this job as a profession and that to me is not satisfying as this is a very important job in getting our sporting levels to where we always wanted.


If you’re not a fitness trainer, what would you have taken up as your job?

Well, if I am not a fitness trainer, I would definitely be working with people with special needs. That is a something I have already been doing before moving into the fitness trainer profession. In fact, I started connecting with sports through helping kids with special needs playing basketball and one thing lead to another and I ended up being a fitness trainer. However, if I was not in this profession of fitness trainer, I would definitely be helping a lot of the people with special needs.


How does it feel to come from Renbell and be the top fitness trainer for the national Solomon Islands Football team?

It is an extremely unique feeling and something I am very proud of.  It is also an honor for me because my province is well-known for producing rugby players. I am very thankful to the Football administration to recognize me as a professional in my profession and accepted me to work with the national football team. This is going to be something I remember for the rest of my life.


What is your advice for the people of your province as someone you have made an impact to many different people of other provinces?

My simple advice to my beloved people of my province especially youths who want to take up fitness is to know that they can do it. If Fa’a can do it then surely you can do it too. The only secret behind my success is having the right attitude. Get your attitude right and everything is possible.


What are some of your most successful achievements in your profession?

I got a lot of successful achievements but I am only going to name one and that one that I remembered so far is attending the London Olympics as a coach for the Paralympic team Solomons and this is probably my most memorable one because when I reached that Olympic level, I knew that is the highest level of sports so I am very satisfied with my career so far and now it is time for me to give back to Solomon Islands.


What would be your advice to the youths of Solomon Islands?

My advice to the Solomon Islands youths would be to do everything in your best. Sport is a very good activity to engage yourself in because it can allow you to travel overseas and broaden your thinking as well as your perspective on life. Education is a very good thing to have too because it is what usually take people overseas and help shape our nation. For those youths interested in sport, remember that sport does not go with drugs it is meant to keep you healthy and fit while enjoying your life. Finally, in everything we do, give thanks and praise to our dear God for his love and faithfulness for all of us.



Fa’a concluded the interview with tears in his eyes as he recalled his times as a street boy roaming the streets having no direction at all. It was quite emotional especially for someone who is known to crack a joke everywhere he is. Now the Renbell man is looking forward to his next task which is the fitness coach for the Solomon Islands national football team which will be taking part in the World Cup qualifiers this year. To be the best in your field means to be passionate and determined.

No comments:

Post a Comment