Wednesday 8 March 2017

ELLIOT LEADING BY EXAMPLE

There have been many great Solomon Islands soccer player but Elliot Ragomo is among the first legends alongside his teammates in Kurukuru to remembered as the best futsal players Solomon Islands has ever produced. The indoor code of football has only come a few years back but Solomon Islands through the help of Pastor Brian Codrington and Dural Baptist church have contributed into influencing the beautiful game of futsal to grow. The first Solomon Islands U12 team consisted of Elliot Ragomo as captain, Francis Leafai and Jack Wetney who are still playing today for Solomon Islands.

Elliot Ragomo has created a career out of passion and strong mental fitness and now have officially featured in three world cups. The latest world cup in Columbia also sees Elliot Ragomo showed his class to the world again through a stunning free-kick against World’s best Argentina. In this interview, it was a humbling experience to know this young man’s story.



How did you begin playing futsal?

I started playing futsal at a very young age, playing for chung wah school in the first ever futsal league organized by Dural sports and leisure center here in Honiara but before the actual league, I was just playing on the streets with friends.


Is there anyone or anything that inspired you to be a sportsman?

I always wanted to be like the Brazilians growing up watching the world cup, seeing them play and trying to imitate or copy their moves. How they dribble and just the way they play is all I could imagine was being like them and most of all, being at the world cup was my craziest dreams growing up as a little boy.



How does it feel like to captain one of the most successful Solomon Islands sporting team?

Being captain of this remarkable team is something that God has fully planned for my life. For the boys, I call the Kurukuru boys my family and brothers. It's not only to lead a team but to lead a country is the most satisfying gift, I have been called upon and I have no regrets being a leader who serve his boys but the team and my country.  It’s a joy that I face and a challenge because without challenge I won't become a true character because it’s not what I do when my teammates see me but what I do when nobody is watching me that is important.


You are a pioneer of the futsal game. What are some of the benefits you get from futsal?

Being a pioneer of this sport brings a lot of joy to my life because this is my life and this sport shaped my life to become who I am today. All the values of a human being remembering all that I have learned not only playing but the true values of life itself and it's in the God almighty and us players and people.
I would say that being the first generation I hope we give hope and change to our country showing them that the impossible is possible in this country Solomon Islands, which kurukuru defined the odds without any facilities yet we went on 3 consecutive world cups! This country is blessed.


You once played Futsal in Spain at a very young age. What was the experience like?

During the time I played in Spain, it was with a very big club. All the experience made me become stronger and stronger in this game trying to help my young generations and teaching them about the experience I have.


What is your biggest achievement in your futsal career?

The biggest achievements would be the captain of a bunch of boys and friends at one stage and are called kurukuru and able to be at the world cup the highest competition in the world coming from a country without a futsal court or facility that's my biggest achievement i would think.


Apart from being the superstar in the game of futsal, what other activities interests you?

Other activities I am interested in is to listen to music and now I’m learning to cook and being around my friends but most of all is being around my son, Jeremy makes me happy the most!


What are some of your future goals?

My futsal goals would be to make it to another world cup but the biggest one before I retire from this game I love is, to see Solomon Islands with a proper futsal stadium for the generations to come so that they do not enter the struggle and experience the pain that I came through with my dreams and  my dream of having a court.
I want them to dream and dream like I did with the ball.



You have been known to have so much passion. What motivates you every time?

I create a routine in my life where I wake up, I trained every day and that motivates me and brings joy to my life which is pushing me to different heights of achievement.



What would be your advice to the youths of Solomon Islands?

My advice is please don’t stop dreaming and don’t stop that passion keep going because your time will be smoother and will be better.



Elliot Ragomo will now join Prospect futsal club in Australia which is one of the professional futsal team. The inspirational Solomon Islands skipper has definitely show his shoulder to the beautiful nation of Solomon Islands.



No comments:

Post a Comment