Wednesday 28 September 2016

SOLOMON ISLANDS VERY OWN FOOTBALL LEGEND

Football is a game full of passion, dedication and motivation. In order to succeed in this sport, one must have these exceptional qualities. For Solomon Islands, there have been a lot of football heroes come and go but one that remains the center of the hearts of many Solomon Islands football fans is the one and only Henry Samuel Luito’o Fa’arodo or Ju Fa as he is commonly known. The player who have graced the national uniform for Solomon Islands football team all his playing life is regarded not only by Solomon Islands but the whole of Oceania as one of the best in the pacific.
                     
Henry Fa’arodo attended Nelson College from 2000 to 2001, playing for the school’s first eleven and he also was a member of the Nelson Suburbs club outside school football. Amongst the few of Solomon Islands who have made it to top flight football in Australia, Henry was one of them playing for the top-flight football club Perth Glory and for the Melbourne Knights in the old NSL.  Henry Fa’arodo have made such a positive impact to the pacific football and now every Solomon Islands youth footballers admire him and regarded him as their legend and a model to follow. The Solomon Islands team captain may have a very aggressive approach in games but in person, he is one of the kindest individuals around. Currently, Henry is a member of the Western United football club in the Top league in Solomon Islands. I was fortunate to have a close up interview with the legend himself and get into the mind of the most influential player in Solomon Islands and also the whole of Pacific.

What got you into football?
For me it is not what got me into footy. It is who. And it is my dad’s involvement in football. So I respect my dad a lot for introducing me to this beautiful game.

What do you find in football growing up that steers you to keep going?
I have always dream of playing football. I believe being able to follow my dad to training when he was involved with Rangers football club in the late 80s and early 90s has helped steered me to love the game more. Also what steers me as I grow up was that I realized I have a talent to go further in this career. And with dedication, commitment, passion and determination to make it in football also steers me. Also I always challenge myself to be better in what I do. And so I have the habit to set individual goals and aims to achieve. And I always make sure my goals a realistic.

What is your best moments in football to date if you could choose 3 best moments?
1. Signing my first Pro contract with Perth Glory.

2. Being part of the Solomon team that drew with Aussie.

3. Being the captain of Solomon Islands football team.

When you are regarded as the best player in the Solomon Islands and the Pacific, do you feel any pressure to live up to standards?
Of course I feel the pressure to perform especially. But I use it to drive myself. To motivate myself. I always find ways to push myself to be a better player.

I understand you have been there and done almost everything, what are your goals now in football?
I am now in my transition period in my football career. I love football. I would like to be still involved. My goals now for the future will be to be involved in coaching. Get my qualifications and hopefully one-day coach the Solomon Islands senior team.

I would also like to coach overseas.

You have been with the national team for many years, what is something you find about the national team that excites you?
One thing for sure is walking into the dressing room, putting on the green, yellow n blue strip. And that moment you walked out in front of my home crowd. That excites me. And when I sing the national anthem that would be one of my proudest moment.

You have been called many nick names in your footballing days, which one is the one you almost feel like it is your official name?
It’s got to be – JuFa

If you we not playing football, what do you see yourself doing now?
Wow!! If I don’t play football I would see myself working as a teacher, or a lecturer or maybe a motivational speaker. Tough call for me.

What do your girls (daughters) think of you as a top footballer?
If u ask my girls what I do for a living, they will tell you "my papa plays football". The other day my eldest daughter who is 7 came home and we asked her what she did at school. She said "we did drawing and coloring" I asked to see what she did, she showed me an A4 size paper with a man kicking a ball into the goal and there’s a caption "papa winning goal"

Your word of advice for young Solomon Islands footballers.
Have a dream. Set yourselves realistic goals. Believe in yourself and your ability. Remember - Talent can only take u so far, HARD WORK will take you anywhere.


The inspirational Solomon Islands captain who also is a Christian really is confident that it is with God’s help and his determination that have pushed him through the years to become who he is now. Henry Fa’arodo will always be regarded as one of the best footballers the Solomon Islands have ever produced and also an ambassador of footballer from the Pacific Islands.

picture of Fa'arodo playing for Western United was taken by VanuFoot.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting to have read this blog. Thank you Alex for sharing.

    And to Henry - you will always be solos best (y). All the best in your career bro.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete